ABOUT DAPP UK
Development Aid from People to People UK aims to provide support to development projects focused on the relief of poverty and the development of the poorer populations and to get involved in local initiatives.
Textiles that are thrown in the bin are sent to landfill sites. They can produce toxins which pollute the water we drink and the air we breathe. Textiles and shoes make up 12% of landfill sites. Every single year, discarded clothing in UK that could be recycled, amounts to a full Wembley Stadium! 1 bag of clothes given does more to protect the air than 1 tree does in 1 year.
ENVIRONMENTAL BENEFITS OF DONATING AND BUYING USED CLOTHES
- Donating 1lb or kg of clothes saves: 4 lb or kg of CO2
- Buying used clothes instead of new saves: 6 kg of CO2 /kg
- Less water for cotton crops
- Less pesticides and fertilizer used for cotton production
- According to WRAP (The Waste and Resources Action Programme), only 20% of the textiles that enter the waste stream are recycled. Much more is needed!